Tuesday, February 24, 2009

As cheap as they get . . .

I (age 21) just moved into a new apartment complex and, naturally, the most obnoxious 19 year old in the complex happened to notice me. We’ll call him Bob. Bob was notorious for trying to put the moves on all of his dates. So I was anything but ecstatic when he asked me out. Although being stuck in this situation was anything but lucky, fate kindly smiled down on me; his roommate decided to double with my roommate an hour before we left.

Because of this little change in plans, we had to leave later than expected since my roommate needed time to get ready. Leaving later meant another change in plans. No big deal. We attempted to go to this Indian restaurant for dinner, only to find it was no longer there. (And I later found out that Bob would take all his dates there and insist on sharing a meal because it’s less expensive that way.) So, instead we drove around for an hour trying to find a place to eat. Every time we drove past a restaurant he’d ask how much it would cost because he was worried about pricing. Finally we decided on a diner in Springville which averaged at $8 a meal. His last words before going in were, “That’s kind of expensive. I’m a poor college student!” Really?! If you’re that poor you shouldn’t offer to take a girl to dinner (because let’s remember that $8 a plate is NOT bad unless you’re going for something like Burger King). After that remark, I ended up getting the cheapest thing on the menu which was about $5. Then I was mocked for it.

After plenty of awkward conversations at the restaurant, we went to the Hare Krishna temple where Bob somehow bargained our entrance fees (because apparently $5/person is TOO much). We were there for about 15 minutes before we decided there was not much to do, so we left.

We headed back to Bob’s apartment to watch some TV. (Um . . . not a good date idea.) After some unsuccessful attempts at holding my hand, he decided to sit on me and tickle me. (Also not cool.) Bob apparently felt like our roommates were cramping his style, so he kept trying to get me to go outside with him to be alone; to, no doubt, try and hold my hand or something. I told him I didn’t want to go outside, so instead of giving up after a few “NO”s….he just decided to force me. He grabbed my arm and started trying to pull me off the couch. Because I was adamant about not going outside, I decided to go limp. Clearly, this too was not clue enough to stop. He dragged me across his apartment floor to the front door, at which time I told him I’d like to go home. Bob and his roommate walked us home, made some smart remarks about door step scenes, then left. Needless to say, he actually took a hint and never asked me out again! SUCCESS!

1 comment: