Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Just Ask Her Out

I loathe blind dates. But, when my friend really needed someone to double with her, I agreed to appease her. The boy was nice enough and seemed genuinely interested in me. We went to a performance that included multiple clips from musicals. I thought it was ok, but my date seemed to think it was amazing. Especially during one particular piece - he sat on the edge of his seat watching the female lead singer intently. When it was over, he enthusiastically applauded. During the intermission, he mentioned that he knew the female singer he had been gazing at so fervently. I tried to seem interested as he told me their entire history, though I admit I remember nothing of the details. I think they grew up together. Anyway, he kept talking about her during the whole intermission. Then, right after the performance, he excused himself for a few minutes.

When he returned, he seemed very pleased and made no attempt to hide the fact that he had gone to talk to his old friend. He continued to talk about her and how great her voice was. I began to feel a little like a third wheel, even though she was not with us. We went to my date's apartment afterward to play games. When they decided we should get ice cream, my date volunteered (since he had a car) to run get a few half-gallons. By this time, I was reluctant to spend more time with him than necessary, but my friend convinced me it would be rude if I didn't go with him. So I did.

Guess what he talked about? That's right. His old friend. He even described to me in detail what she had said when he talked to her after the show. Then, get this, he asked me if I thought she might be interested in him. Trying to be positive, I said she probably was. I even sarcastically added he should definitely ask her out. That is when he mentioned he already did. After the show. Yes, he asked her out while he was on a date with me. I decided not to worry anymore about what he might think of me. He obviously wasn't worried about what I thought. Rest of the evening? Well, I am sure you can imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment