Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Escape the Date

My junior year of high school I had two really good guy friends, Norm and Darren; they were each other's best friend. One day as I was walking down the hall to my next class I ran into Darren. He asked how I was doing. I responded that I was alright, my birthday was the past weekend and had not been too exciting. Darren said, "Oh, man, I'm sorry! We should all go out to eat or something!" I thought he meant the three of us, Norm, Darren and myself.

That Friday the door bell rang, I answered and it was Darren--I then realized it was a date.

Norm was waiting in the truck with his date. Don't get me wrong, I loved these guys like brothers, they were fun and awesome, but I was not attracted to either of them whatsoever, especially Darren. So we went out to eat at some Asian restaurant, and I wasn't as comfortable as I usually was when hanging out with the guys.

We then went to our high school for the basketball game. Both Darren and Norm were in the band and were actually supposed to be playing in the pep band that night, but they skipped out so they could take us girls on a date. Well, the band director spotted them and made them join the pep band and play. So I sat with Norm's date, Sarah, whom I did not know--she went to our school but we didn't know each other. It was really crowded and noisy at the game, Sarah and I didn't really talk. Sarah saw some friends sitting a little ways away and told me she would be right back. So I sat alone, for most of the game.

Part way through the game my good friend Mandy called. I ran out of the gym into the hall to talk on my cell. She was at our friend Leslie's house, and they were going to have a sleep over and then go to our team practice the next morning together. She invited me join, but I told her of my predicament. Then I had a wonderful idea. I told Mandy that as soon as the game ended I would call her, then she was to wait a few minutes then call me back pretending to be my mom, telling me to come home.

The game ended, I called Mandy and let her know that Operation Bail Out was in effect. Norm and Darren came and got me and Sarah, and we left the school and started to walk down the parking lot to the truck. As we were approaching the truck my mom called. Not Mandy. My real mother.

I can't really remember why she called, maybe to ask me something, but she started to ask me how I was doing. I started to talk to her, but I was acting like she was telling me to come home. I said things like, "Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiine. Uuuuuugh!" just acting really annoyed. On the other end, my mom was really confused, she asked me, "Are you ok? What's going on?" I said "just fine," then hung up. We all got in the truck, and I told the group that my mom called and told me I needed to come home right away because I had practice early in the morning. We proceeded to drive to my house so I could be dropped off.

We were about three blocks away from my house and Mandy called. I answered and Mandy said, "Tayva, you come home right now!" -I need to explain something, my parents are from a different country, so they have accents. When Mandy called she was trying to emulate my mother's accent but was totally slaughtering it. So when she called, I was trying so hard not to laugh. I told her I would call her right back, then hung up.

We got to my house, Darren walked me to the door, gave me a hug. As soon as I got in the house, I ran to my mom and began to profusely apologize. I told her, "Mom I am so sorry! I wasn't mad at you, and I wasn't trying to be mean to you!" I then explained to her the whole situation, she thought it was pretty funny. I then drove to Leslie's house and explained the whole thing to her and Mandy. They were laughing so hard they almost started crying. At least some one enjoyed something about the night. Hey, at least I got out of the date early.

1 comment:

  1. That's funny. My Mom did something like that too. She always knew to start the "bail out" conversation if one of us kids called during a date and didn't start talking right away. Glad to see there are other Moms out there willing to be the bait... even if it was unknowingly :)
    (*This comment was left by Jillybean, but for some reason the comment moderation feature isn't working properly right now.)

    ReplyDelete