Monday, February 16, 2009

A Hand-Holding Break Up

I had been dating *James for about 6 or 7 months and I thought things were going really well. Then one day, James came to pick me up for some food and a drive. We went to get food, but James stood hesitantly in the parking lot, so I reached up to grab his arm and go in (I was hungry). James apparently thought I was grabbing his hand to hold, which at the time, I figured it didn't matter either way. We had a nice meal and afterward, James wanted to drive up the Alpine Loop (in the canyon). James didn't have the best navigational skills, so we ended up on a rather long and bumpy ride down a very dark, very unpaved road. We hadn't been having much of a conversation. In fact, I was rather tired, so I was laying back in the seat resting while James still held my hand. After several hours, James realized he had the wrong road. We turned back and made our continuing-to-be-silent way back to my apartment.

Just as we got there, he said, "Something was supposed to happen tonight."

Me, being the ignorant and still-in-love girl, I thought he meant he wanted to kiss me, so I said, "Oh, really?" all coy and knowing.

He looked at me and said, "Not that."

That was when he let go of holding my hand (he had been holding it for almost the entire night). And then proceeded to say that he didn't think we should date anymore. I was pretty shocked, since he had just been holding my hand and I hadn't seen any other clues or anything. He kept talking while I was silently stunned. He mentioned that he hadn't dumped me right at the beginning of our "date" because I had grabbed his hand. I decided not to tell him I was just trying to get him to go in because I was hungry. After he talked for a bit longer and I had told him I was ok (which, I wasn't) I got out of the car.

The best line of the night came then. He said, "So, I'll see you around?"

I looked back with a killer crusty and said "Probably not."

Then I walked inside and bawled my eyes out.

For guys: don't hold hands with a girl for several hours and then dump her and then expect to be all "see you around."

4 comments:

  1. This is one of my all-time favorite break-up stories--probably because I know James, and I kind of think he's moron--at least he was at the time. Maybe he's changed since then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the comeback line - "Probably not."

    ReplyDelete