Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sometimes I'm the Problem

Tales from the life of the Keeper of the Blog

Sometimes I do weird things on dates. It can't really be helped, I'm just a weird person.

One Saturday evening, I rushed back to my apartment after spending the day at my parents' house. I was totally late getting ready for my date, so I threw all my stuff--laundry, homework, and groceries--on my bed. I thought the groceries were all non-perishables and would be fine sitting in my room until I got home later. Changed my clothes. Brushed my hair. Boy came over to pick me up.

It was a group date, and we walked up to campus for some kind of performance. Part way through the performance, I remembered the eggs. The eggs that were sitting on my bed with my groceries. The unrefrigerated eggs that were slowly rotting on my bed and would no longer be safe to eat by the time I got home from my date since we were planning to do some stuff at his apartment afterward--ice cream, games/movie, and the like.

I spent the rest of the performance worrying about the eggs.

On the way back to our apartment building, my date was talking about something, and I wasn't paying any attention because I was thinking about eggs.

Finally, I said, "Is it okay if I stop by my apartment really quick?"

The boy looked confused. "Is something wrong?"

"No. I just need to stop by my apartment for a minute, and then I can come back over to your apartment."

He still looked confused. "Okay. But why do you need to go to your apartment?"

"I have eggs on my bed."

"What?"

I said it more slowly: "I have eggs on my bed."

"What?"

"I went shopping, and I didn't have time to put my food away because I was late, so I just put all my food on my bed, and most of it will be okay, but I forgot that I bought eggs, and I left the eggs on my bed, and now they're going to rot, and smell bad, and I'll have to throw them away unless I go home and put them in the refrigerator right now, and it really won't take me very long, and the eggs should be fine still at this point, but by the time I get home later tonight the eggs might not be fine because there's only like a two-hour window for leaving out perishable foods, and I'll come right over to your apartment when I'm done." I said this in one breath.

He responded with,"oh," and then he changed the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment